Sunday, November 16, 2014

Essay Expansion Proposal

For my expansion essay, I decided to expand my Essay Two. This essay was done on the democratization of media through social media which used Brian Williams' "Enough about You” and Steven Johnson’s “It’s All about Us” as the source materials and with the following thesis: "Though Williams claim that the democratization of media may hinder our democracy is very true, I believe that a democratized form of media is more efficient than a reliance on traditional news sources." What makes this essay rich for expansion is the many examples of social media sites I could use and the many examples of  currents I could use to specify on my thesis on how why democratized media is more efficient. I could incorporate Facebook and YouTube along with Twitter and how people use them together to become more aware of current events or even spread news that has been largely ignored by traditional news. I could also expand to the other forms of democratized media, such as independent news sites, and other forms of traditional media, such as newspapers and magazines. Finally, I could describe, in more detail, Williams' point on how an abundance of news sources could negatively affect the national conversation through confusion and misinformation and, I could give examples on how it has done so before, such as how many people believe Ebola could spread across the United States. The following are key terms I will use to find additional research:
  • democratization of media
  • effect of the internet on news media
  • news media misleading
  • democratization of information
  • Twitter, Facebook and YouTube
  • Fox News
  • new media bias
  • social media on news reporting

2 comments:

  1. I like your take on this. I think that it doesn't take much for things to go viral, especially videos. Typically, you would think of silly videos like Nyan Cat when you hear the word "viral", but it also applies to news on the media in general. You could put an example of some news video or piece of information that has recently gone viral and explain how it has done so (via YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice start and I think Kyla is spot on as well. You might consider looking into the effect of shows like The Daily Show or the Colbert Report, both on spurring a video to go viral and for their take on news media. Kyla's feedback also makes me think of Russell Brand's appearance on Morning Joe (MSNBC) a year or so ago--I just saw it again on Democracy Now yesterday--and how it demonstrates the lack of real news in our news. I recommend reading the introduction to Al Gore's The Assault on Reason. Let me know if you can't find it.

    ReplyDelete